Riding Safaris - What Now?
Once you have had a look though what kind of rides we offer, it is sometimes a good idea to have a quick chat to get the ball rolling, we will ask questions along the following lines to start the process:
- Are you traveling alone or as part of a group?
- Do you ride on a regular basis at home?
- Do you want to ride everyday or just for a few days as part of your trip?
- Do you ride competitively; event/race/hunt?
- Are there any non-riders in your group?
- Have you been to Africa before?
- What time of year are you thinking of travelling?
- Is there anything specific that you want to see (wildlife/birds/places)?
- What sort of accommodation do you want to stay in (hotel/lodge/tented camp)?
- Do you want to add a beach holiday to your safari?
- Do you have a budget in mind?
From here we can start to make initial suggestions which will be whittled down to a specific itinerary.
Southern Africa: on the whole, flights to and from Southern Africa depart in the evening, arriving at your destination early the following morning. Johannesburg is the main hub airport with most onward flights connecting here.
East Africa: Both day and overnight flights are available to and from East Africa (Kenya and Tanzania).
Many of our riding safaris will necessitate internal flight transfers. Depending on the itinerary, these will either be private charters or scheduled light aircraft flights. We will always try to minimise waiting time between an international arrival and an onward flight. Often these flights will be a highlight in themselves for children – flying low over the bush is a very exciting way to see the countryside.
All of our clients are met on arrival at their destination. You will be transferred by a private vehicle to domestic airports for onward internal flights, or driven to your lodge or camp. All transfer arrangements will be made prior to your trip so you don’t have to worry about getting from place to place.
Special dietary requests can be catered for with a little advance warning. Food, wherever you are, is likely to be superb. Camp staff have a wonderful knack of being able to produce the most delicious meals from even the simplest bush kitchen.
Health and visa requirements
Once you have confirmed your trip we will send you our ‘pre-departure information’ which lists any health and visa requirements that may be necessary for the country (or countries) you will be visiting. We will also include a suggested riding packing list, background information on the country you are visiting, reading lists etc.
Booking a riding safari
Once we have agreed upon an itinerary we ask you for a 25% deposit in order to confirm the trip. Final payment is due 10 weeks before departure.